Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Anti-Cavity Diet


The Anti-Cavity Diet

An Article from Discovery Health



There is no perfect diet that will keep your teeth from all harm, but what you eat can have an effect on the health of your teeth and gums. Eating right has benefits on two fronts: By supplying your body with the right nutrients, a healthful diet strengthens your teeth from the inside; and by limiting the foods that promote bacterial growth, it protects your teeth from outside invaders.  Building strong teeth
Teeth are essentially a kind of bone. They are harder and more durable because they are on the outside, but the same nutrients that promote a strong skeleton promote strong teeth
.
Calcium.
The primary component of strong bone tissue is the mineral calcium. It gives the skeleton structure and hardness. It may seem that teeth, once they are fully grown, don't need any more calcium. Indeed, the most important time to ensure a proper amount of calcium in the diet is when teeth and bones are forming, but even after they are fully grown, teeth and bones still need to have an adequate supply. The body constantly takes calcium from bones and teeth and replaces it with new supplies. You should make sure that your body has plenty on hand.
Getting enough calcium in the diet can seem difficult for those who don't want to get too much fat. Good sources of calcium without too much fat are nonfat and low-fat milk, low-fat and nonfat yogurt, some dark-green leafy vegetables, and calcium-fortified orange juice.

Vitamin D.
Vitamin D works hand in hand with calcium. It doesn't add to the hardness of bones and teeth in itself, but it promotes the deposition of calcium in the skeleton. Without it, it wouldn't matter how much calcium your body had available, because the calcium would not be absorbed into bone tissue.
Vitamin D is added to almost all commercial milk, and many other foods are now fortified with it. Your body has the ability to make its own vitamin D also. The vitamin is produced in the skin when your skin is exposed to the sun's ultraviolet radiation. It takes just 15 minutes a day of direct sun exposure on the skin to get the vitamin D your body needs.

Vitamin C.
Almost every ailment has been said to be "cured" by vitamin C, but here there is a real connection -- connective tissue. Vitamin C is vital to the health of connective tissue such as your gums. In fact, one of the first symptoms of vitamin C deficiency, or scurvy, is weak, sore gums that bleed easily. Vitamin C can be found in citrus fruits and some vegetables such as broccoli and brussels sprouts.

Fluoride.
The one nutrient that affects the health of your teeth the most is also one of the most controversial. The mineral fluoride has been proved to make teeth harder and more resistant to decay. Study after study has shown that people living in areas where fluoride is added to the water have fewer cavities than those who do not. Although many of us do get our fluoride from fluoridated drinking water, some don't have that option in their communities. Ask your doctor or dentist if you are concerned. 

Problem Foods

Because plaque formation is the start of virtually all types of dental disease, and plaque bacteria feed on leftover sugars, it stands to reason that cutting down on sugar -- in all of its forms -- will help prevent cavities. Easier said than done.
Sugar is one of the most insidious ingredients in the modern diet. If you look at almost any prepared food's ingredients, somewhere in that list will be sucrose or one of its close relatives (such as glucose, maltose, lactose, fructose, galactose, dextrose, corn syrup, molasses, brown sugar, raw sugar, and so on). Even honey, no matter how unrefined, contains simple sugars that serve as a banquet meal for plaque bacteria. The same goes for fructose (naturally occurring fruit sugar).
Complex carbohydrates can also provide food for bacteria in your mouth. In fact, some researchers suggest that starchy foods may be even more detrimental to your teeth than simple sugars. Starches are more sticky than sugar; the saliva that usually dissolves and washes away small amounts of sugar on the teeth might not be able to contend with the clumps of potato chips or crackers stuck in and around molars. Starchy foods that stick to your teeth and stay there for hours provide plenty of fuel for enamel-eroding microbes.
This doesn't mean that you should avoid starchy foods. On the contrary, they are part of a healthful diet. It only means that you must be more conscious of how these foods affect your teeth and more conscientious about cleaning them after you do enjoy those snack chips. Although no other nutritional component besides sugar has been positively linked to tooth decay, the rest of your diet cannot be overlooked in your effort to maintain healthy teeth and gums. A diet that is full of sugars and overprocessed foods (or one devoid of vitamins, minerals, and crunchy fruits and vegetables) can eventually lead to decay, even in the mouths of the most avid brushers and flossers.
Don't let anxiety keep you from visiting the dentist -- professional care will help you keep your teeth clean and healthy.

34 comments:

  1. Dieting may change somewhat you getting cavities, but it comes back to taking good care of your teeth! This includes often seeing your family dentist .

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people would love to see this article! I know that I learned a bunch about how your diet can effect the health of your teeth. I'm going to do my best to go onto this diet before I get my wisdom teeth removal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing, this is great advice. I just completely cut soda out of my diet and so I hope that helps a lot. I just had three cavities and I don't want it to happen again. How long are your teeth usually sore for after you get a filling? It's been almost a week and mine are still sore.
    http://www.drtinahudson.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its started with parents to guide their children and always remember to brush your teeth two to three times a day. And I go to My dentist Manhattan dental clinic
    here in NYC twice a year just to maintain and to be sure that I don't have any problems with My oral hygiene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this information on how to avoid getting a cavity. I have such a great family dentist in Jacksonville NC who informs me on what I can do also. Thanks for your help!

    Wayne Deer | http://www.absjacksonvillenc.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you know if you have fluoride in your water or not? I get cavities a lot, and I'm trying to change my diet and see if that helps. I would like to have fluoride in my diet, but I don't know if it's already in my drinking water. Would it be alright if I used fluoride from the pharmacy?

    Jenn | http://sevenoaksdental.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea that increasing your intake of Vitamin C and D could help reduce cavities. I haven't had a cavity in a really long time, but I've recently had issues with a molar that got chipped. As a result food gets caught between that tooth and it's neighbor. I was told that this could increase the chances of cavities in that spot. I'm trying to be more conscious of what I eat so I take care of those teeth as best as I can. http://www.smilesbylakeside.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. An anti-cavity diet, eh? Now that's something I can get behind. I'm sure our family dentist would approve, too. They have always given us fairly strong dietary recommendations, which we've welcomed. Thiago | http://www.blackhurstdental.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is easier said then done to stay away from starchy foods. Some of my favorite foods are on the starchy side of the spectrum. I guess I could probably cut back on them, if it meant being better for my teeth. I have to work extra hard to make sure they stay healthy.
    http://www.legacydentalonline.com/ballwin-dentist-darling-services

    ReplyDelete
  10. As crazy as it may sound, I had no idea that there were so many different vitamins I could take to have better dental health. No I will be more conscious about what I am eating. Hopefully, this will help fight my gingivitis and keep me out of the dentist chair for smaller issues that could be avoided.
    http://www.southgatedentalcentre.com/services.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wasn't aware that there are different vitamins that help with keeping our teeth clean. I know that the dentist administers fluoride to our teeth to help them retain their strength and that we should use fluoride regularly as well. I wonder if there are other vitamins that aid in keeping our teeth cavity free. http://saindonfamilydentistry.com/our-staff/

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids have been prone to get a lot of cavities. So I am researching and looking for ways to not get cavities. So when I found this blog on an anti cavity diet I thought that this was perfect. I am excited to give it a try and I sure hope that it works. http://www.bordenfamilydentistry.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great information, thank you for sharing. My kids hate going to the dentist and getting them to brush their teeth is a huge ordeal every night. I am kind of hoping that they get cavities, because then they will take things seriously. I have talked to our family dentist and he has been trying to get my kids to take it seriously as well.

    http://www.kappenmanfamilydental.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eating healthy is only part of keeping your teeth healthy. You also want to be sure to brush your teeth and visit the dentist when you can. The dentist is there to help you keep your teeth clean and to help prevent the formation of dental diseases. Your diet can greatly affect the way your teeth are. If you primarily eat sugary foods, expect to get some cavities filled. http://www.meisterdentalgroup.com/services

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouldn't have guessed that starchy food could be worse for your teeth than sugar. I guess I'll have to rethink those potato chips if I want to keep my smile when I'm older. Right now my teeth seem indestructible, but that won't last forever. http://hurstddslv.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know that your diet had such an influence on what your teeth. I knew fluoride helped teeth, but I didn't know that vitamin C helped so much. It's cool that there are so many natural ways to help keep teeth strong and healthy.

    http://www.douglasholmesdentistry.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have found a great tips here about dental issues.It is a great blog for dental issues..
    Keep sharing..

    denture

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks a lot for blogging this, it was unbelievably informative and helped me tons.
    Pediatric dentist in Richmond

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anti cavity diet should given given to children regularly. Child suffer most form cavity problem. Find best dentist for Teeth whitening even on weekend (Saturday, Sunday)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ugh! I treated 6 cavity fillings of one patient at one time. I am a budding dentist and I am practicing under dentist Redondo Beach. I get to learn a lot from him and he is very kind too. It was superb coming across this post because I really think it is important to let people know about the right kind of diet for them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey!! Thanks for the post. Teeth cavity is one of the most common dental problem. I am also facing a lots of dental and oral problems and looking for the Dental Implants in Gurgaon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is great information, thank you for sharing hair follicles transplant

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Have a dental emergency dentist Granville West Edmonton? Don't panic! Read on to find out how an emergency dentist can help you get back to your healthy smile.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I'm experiencing difficulty. Don know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting equivalent rss problem? Anybody who is aware of kindly respond. Thanks North Central Edmonton dentist

    ReplyDelete
  26. If you live in NE Calgary dentist, you may wonder which dental practice to choose. With so many options available, it can be challenging to determine the right one for your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You must indulge in a contest for one of the greatest blogs over the internet. Ill suggest this web site! Brampton Dentist

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looking for a reliable and experienced dentist in Edmonton? Look no further than The Edmonton dentist! Our team of skilled professionals is committed to providing high-quality dental care to patients of all ages.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Discover the benefits of acupuncture victoria, BC. Learn how this ancient healing practice can help you find relief from pain, stress, and more.

    ReplyDelete
  30. If you're looking for a NW Calgary dentist, you're in luck. This part of the city has no shortage of dental clinics, making it easy to find one that suits your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  31. How much of an unique article, keep on posting better half
    Best Dentist SW Edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looking for an affordable and quality dental care? Your Calgary Dentist is here to provide customized dental care for you and your family! Call our office today! emergency dentist Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  33. Moss Dental is your Family Victoria BC Dentist! We provide comprehensive dental care with compassion and we prioritize our patients & comfort and needs. Victoria dentist

    ReplyDelete